Family Picture

Family Picture

10.15.2010

Flea Attack of 2010!

Yup! The horrible creatures that us humans despise have crawled into the Klein household today... I don't know how long they've been making right at home in Ellie and Coco's fur/hair but I discovered this terrible truth as I rolled Coco to comb her hair...First I thought wow she is getting lots of tiny black mold like spots... Then I froze right there... I didn't know what they were since I've never seen fleas before so I wasn't sure if they were regular tiny bugs like ants or horrible, horrible fleas/ticks... I quickly took Coco and left her in our bath tub as I pulled myself together and looked up what fleas looked like... Yup, they are fleas:-( I really didn't know what to do with this situation but I decided to give her a bath... But I still spotted fleas after thoroughly washing Coco's hair so I asked her to stay in the tub for a while and went to get Ellie. Ellie also had been another victim of the flea attack and spotted a few so I put her in the tub and washed her hair...

After inspecting Ellie for some reason I didn't see any fleas so I gave her a go and let her run around in the apartment but I knew I would have to shave all of Coco's hair as soon as it dried...
As I was turning Coco into a Chihuahua Dave got home and found out the horrific afternoon I experienced... Then I picked Ellie up to show him that I don't see any fleas so I think she is okay, and then I saw one moving around in her thick fur... and it was all over... I would have to shave Ellie also:-( Shaving Coco was very easy as she has human like hair but Ellie has fur that is consisting of an under layer that is like cotton and an outer layer that is more like coarse hair... Both girls were great through all this especially Ellie was amazing as it took me much, much longer to shave all of her fur...

I've sprayed our carpet with a home remedy solution to kill fleas/ticks I found online and we've been able to spot the last few stragglers on the Beans easily so I really hope this will take care of all of it and once again we will have peace in our household... Thanks to the fleas, the Beans will be mostly indoor doggies until Ellie's hair grows back and she can feel confident enough to be out in public with us again.

You may wonder where Madison was during all this!? Oh She was amazing! She would just watch me give the Beans a bath and hair cut, or occupy herself with toys or getting into the Beans' toy drawer... Whatever kept her happy and busy I appreciated:-)

So here are the pictures of our naked Beans to get some sympathy from you readers... Feel free to send them encouraging cards and gifts...:-)

Poor hairless Coco Chihuahua...:-(

Sweet Ellie is consoling Coco...

Now it's Ellie's turn...

No comments:

Post a Comment