Family Picture

Family Picture

6.13.2010

Adventurous Daddy

Sunday's are probably my least favorite day without Anna and Madison as going to worship is something I just love doing as a couple...I had originally planned to go up to Connecticut this weekend, but everyone was going to be busy and my parents took most of the stuff I was going to bring up, so late last night I decided I needed a road trip...so I had wanted to visit the Jersey Shore for the first time, but the weather was going to be overcast and rainy so I figured that wasn't worth it, so I put my sights on hiking I researched some State Parks, but the idea of paying to walk around didn't appeal to me...I also read about a trail that said to watch out for rattlesnakes that liked to sun bathe on the rocks and since it wasn't going to be sunny I wondered where else they would go, so I knew that trail wasn't for me...I finally found a nice 4-mile trail just over the border in Greenwich, CT called the Mianus River Gorge Trails which was free to hike. So after finding my destination I went to work looking for a church on the way and ended up worshiping with a wonderful group of 30 or so brothers and sisters who meet at the Third Street Church of Christ of Mount Vernon, New York. A few of them knew Bill and Faye Johnson who preach at my home congregation of Springfield Gardens so that was nice. So after worship I headed another 45 minutes north and passed some of the most incredible homes I had ever seen as I wound through the back country of Greenwich (where Regis and David Letterman supposedly reside). Finally I reached my destination and while I had planned to just walk it, I found myself suddenly jogging the parts that were flat enough...I ended up working up a good sweat which was nice. The rain held off as well and I enjoyed a nice, (albeit at times a little frightening thanks to the seclusion and noise of the squirrels and chipmunks), trip through the woods. I spent most of the time thinking about how much Anna would have hated this...first, I had forgotten that there were bugs in the woods and while I think I escaped relatively unharmed, Anna would have been eaten alive...second, the main reason I picked this trail (besides the fact that it was cost and rattlesnake free) was the advertised waterfall (I love waterfalls) but this one was incredibly disappointing. The water hardly fell...oh well I still enjoyed myself, but it won't be a place I need to take Anna and Madison anytime soon.

So now I am trying to pass the time before I cheer the Celtics on in game 5...just a half-hour to go!! And we have now officially passed the halfway point to Anna and Madison's return...hooray!! In the meantime, enjoy these two pictures Aunt Asuka was kind enough to take. The second one is Madison on the phone with ME just minutes ago!!! She is a very good listener and man is Mommy getting good use out of those whale pajamas :-)

2 comments:

  1. Well guess what Madison is wearing right now!? Cat PJ!!! but Asuka is not here to take pics... Boo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are the best...we need to find the next size up...and the size after that and so on and just buy them all!!!

    ReplyDelete